- Web IRC
Cheer Up Keanu Day
WTF's happened to Keanu?
File:Post check.png Anonymous 06/06/10(Sun)20:02 No.9872048
- The joke was that Keanu is immortal and takes on new identities, often having been many famous historical figures. Sometimes it's said he is simply a "Man from Earth"-style immortal, sometimes he is a vampire or sucks the life-force out of those around him. In relation to this, his tragic life history was occasionally brought up. Recently (in the past week) the photos of Keanu eating on a bench alone and looking depressed and it caused Anon to feel sympathy for him. When some pointed out his tragic history - his father was a manual laborer who left when he was three, his mother dated around leaving Keanu to be mostly raised by relatives, although he was a promising hockey player an injury kept him from playing competitively, he moved around a lot (attending 4 high schools in 5 years) and didn't make many friends, he had to quit acting school because he was broke, his best friend River Phoenix overdosed and died, Keanu has expressed many times his genuine desire to have a family but when his GF Jennifer Symes became pregnant the baby was born dead, she then suffered extreme post-partum depression that broke up their romantic relationship although they remained close friends, later she committed suicide by car, a paparazzo claiming Symes had hit him unsuccessfully sued Keanu for 1.5 years (Keanu won), Keanu's sister got cancer and he's spent millions keeping her alive, and finally the whole world shits on him for being stupid and a bad actor - Anon began to feel they could relate to him and came up with Cheer Up Keanu Day on June 15th. All the recent threads have either been promoting Cheer Up Keanu Day, spreading the sad story, making sad Keanu verticals, or other stuff like the mixtape...
Thus, the truly sad tale of Keanu's life frought with loss and hardship began making the rounds on /b/, /tv/, /a/, and just about everywhere else on the norp side of the interbutts (including Facebook). It didn't take long for a movement to be created to cheer up the melancholy celeb...
"Cheer Up Keanu Day"
After the lonely looking star of The Matrix began making the rounds on the internets, June 15th, 2010, was marked as Cheer Up Keanu Day and the fantards created a Facebook group, with the goal of organizing mass-mailings of letters and gifts to the saddened celeb. This is touching, although how anyone actually plans to accomplish anything tangible with this is a fucking mystery, since Keanu will most likely be indifferent to such trite, worldly efforts to change his eternal somber mood. He's probably dealt with enough fan bullshit already at this point, dontchathink? Meh.
Cheer Up Keanu Day:
Despite what you'd normally expect about such a fanboi-spawned event attracting trolls like flies to shit, so far it seems to be proving remarkably faggotry-free (most likely due to the fact that newfags are too young to have seen any of his movies) , with even the basement dwellers on *chan taking particular interest in the event, and in Keanu.
Keanu is, after all, a Buddhist. And although no one is arguing that Keanu hasn't had real success in his life, after a long career of occasional artistic hit-and-misses, and an obviously troubled personal life, he seems to be questioning the realities of exactly what "success" is. He's probably gotten tired of listening to every Jew studio exec demand he sell-out and make another shitty summer blockbuster, or other douchebag celebrities he knows whining about how much it costs to insure their Ferrari while he's spending millions to save his sister dying from fucking cancer in the hospital. So, unlike vacuous new age yuppie hipster faggots who claim they're oh-so-enlightened and sticking it to The Man because they recycle and don't watch TV, Keanu's indifference and apathy is due to actually having had real loss in his life, and has learned from it the hard way. So since we've all been a Keanu at one time, every luser and failbook-fag on the internet seems to have turned Keanu into a symbol of modern-man-conflicted. Thus, many people see Keanu symbolizing ascetic distaste toward modern pursuits of fame, material wealth and creature comforts that Murka blows its load over.
However, the paranoid assholes who manage Keanu's career (and obviously exploit him) are not having it. Sad!
I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt...
Depressing Keanu Facts
- His first name means "the coldness".
- Hardcore Buddhist.
- Dad abandoned the family when he was 3, never reconnected with him.
- Mom was a showgirl.
- Had a long string of stepfathers, constantly moving.
- Different high schools.
- Had a keen interest in hockey but the Olympic dream ended after an injury.
- Dropped out of high school to become an actor.
- His daughter died stillborn.
- Girlfriend died in a car crash after being plied with drugs by Marilyn Manson.
- His best friend is his sister...she's dying of leukemia.
- His remaining money probably pays for her medical bills.
- Never married.
- His best friend (River Phoenix) died of...drugs?
- Avoids most relationships.
- Turns down big roles if he believes the character's too violent.
- Gave £50 million to the crew of the Matrix.
- Donates most of his money to charities for cancer research.
- Took a 90% pay cut on his salary on The Replacements (2000) so Gene Hackman could be cast. Previously, he had deferred $2 million of his salary so that Al Pacino could be cast on The Devil's Advocate (1997).
- Gives most of his earnings to charity and the backstage people who help on the set.
- Is quite humble when he speaks of himself, quoted saying: "I'm a meathead, man. You've got smart people, and you've got dumb people. I just happen to be dumb." - Keanu
- He owns a house in Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island BC, Canada and is reported to have said "I like your chicken" to a employee at the local grocery store
- Leonardo DiCaprio makes moar money than him, even though Leo can't act for shit either.
—Keanu Reeves on Immortality
Depressing Keanu Quotes
Keanu lieks anime
Apparently, one of the few things Keanu still enjoys in life is anime...
—Keanu on the set of Street Kings
The new happy Keanu
Cheer Up Keanu Day:
- Geekosystem coverage
- At USA Today
- At E! Online
- Washington Post
- The Guardian
- At Entertainment Weekly
- 10 Reasons Keanu Reeves Should Cheer Up. Plus, Keanu Bingo!
- Keanu Smiles :>
Chear Up Keanu Day Facebook Group:
- Facebook group No Longer Active
Cheer Up Keanu Day is part of a series on
Visit the Memes Portal for complete coverage.
Cheer Up Keanu Day is part of a series on
Visit the Media Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article June 15, 2010|
| Preceded by
|Cheer Up Keanu Day|| Succeeded by|