|Hey!|| This article isn't lulz just yet, but its coverage can spark a lollercoaster.
You can help by people who delete shit, and vandalizing their user pages.
See this article on Google? Want to add something?
DEFCON is the worlds largest h4x0r convention, held annually in Las Vegas, Nevada. Every year, script kiddies gather to pretend there is a 1337 underground ring of hacktivists, just like in that one movie with Angelina Jolie.
In reality, the size of the convention is its biggest downfall. The fact is, real hackers don't go to huge conventions; real hackers stay where they belong, the basement. There have been some lulz-worthy moments, though, and you can always count on delicious drama when you fill a hotel with angsty teenagers with identity problems.
Usual Activities at DEFCON
Among many of the intelectually charged events at DEFCON, some include:
- Speeches, given to auditoriums filled with obese, pimply teenagers who breathe mainly through their mouths. The nature of these lectures usually consists of elitist reflections on 'Hacker Culture' and pointless 'How-Tos.
- Competitions, in which contestants attempt to pwn each other by creating "viruses" in command prompt. Usually the winner is a cunning little shit who thought outside the box, surprising everyone with their stunning intellect.
- Messing with stuff you aren't really supposed to, like the slot machines. This is dangerous, especially considering that casinos tend to actually take security a little more seriously than most hotels.
- "Spot the Fed" bullshit, doesn't work because the Feds have dozens of undercover "informants" at every DEFCON. Some of whom actually work for the organizers.
DEFCON Pwns Reporter In 2007
Normally the convention is as dull as a shoe-box full of wood chips; but in 2007 DEFCON organizers were tipped off by some geek in NBC's IT department that Michelle Madigan, a reporter from Dateline, would be spying on them for a hit piece.
DEFCON organizers offered Madigan several opportunities to get a press pass — but the dumb bitch insisted on staying "under-cover". So, they outed her in front of the entire convention.
- The ED entry for Michelle Madigan, which gives more details about the incident.
- Jeff Moss
- The Gibson
DEFCON is part of a series on Security Faggots
2cash • AnonOps • Brian Salcedo • Dshocker • Fearnor • Fry Guy • Gadi Evron • g00ns • Hack This Site • Hacking Team • hann • Joanna Rutkowska • John Field • Joseph Camp • Lizard Squad • LulzSec • Mark Zuckerberg • MarshviperX • Masters of Deception • Michael Lynn • Krashed • Raven • r000t • Ryan • Steve Gibson • th3j35t3r • The Regime • Sabu • Zeekill
Avira • Ciscogate • Cloudflare • Conficker • CyberDefender • Defcon • The Gibson • The Great Em/b/assy Security Leak of 2007 • Heartbleed • I GOT NORTON! • Is Your Son a Computer Hacker? • Operation Sundevil • PIFTS.exe • Social engineering • Stylometry • SubSeven • Zone-H
DEFCON is part of a series on
Visit the Softwarez Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article August 1, 2009|
| Preceded by
80 year old Chinese man in panties
|DEFCON|| Succeeded by|