Here's a handy guide which should help to increase the performance of the Firefox web browser, by reconfiguring your configs and through the use of several handy add-ons.
- Disable and/or uninstall add-ons you don't use.
- Get an optimized Firefox build. Optimized builds for Windows can be found here.
- Decrease pagefile size if you have 2+ gigs of RAM.
- Use openDNS.
- If you download videos from YouTube to your hard drive and have pipelining turned on, video downloading may be noticeably slower.
If a preference isn't available, right click in the "about:config" window and go to "New" > "Preference". Then, click on the type and enter values 'n shit. The guide at the bottom will tell you what type of value each entry is.
What this shit actually does
Alternatively, you can copy and paste the following script into notepad and save it to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\user.js to set all of the preferences for you.
Each extension is highly recommended. Installing all of them is not mandatory, but it will not hurt.
- Cookie Monster - Tell it to disallow cookies globally and then you can just enable cookies on a per site basis.
- Cookiesafe - NoScript, but it does cookies. (This is shit compared to the above)
- BetterPrivacy - BetterPrivacy is a Super-Cookie Safeguard which protects from usually undeletable LSO's (Flash-Cookies) or DOM Storage Objects. It blocks longterm tracking on Google, YouTube Ebay and many other domains. Tell it to remove all LSO's and stuff on exit of firefox.
- FoxyProxy - Fast proxy switcher
- NoScript - Enable, block scripts globally, and add trusted sites. At first it is tedious but it saves you from unknown dangers.
- RefControl - Click the menu at the bottom, set the default to "Forge"
- TorButton - Tor on, Tor off; comes with the Tor Bundle. (Purportedly sends information to Alexa)
- User Agent Switcher - Changes your [useragent.html Useragent].
- AutoPager - Loads the next page of a website when you reach the bottom (Google results, image boards). Tested and proven to work on many sites.
- 4chan extension - Adds more features to 4chan, and also increases aesthetic value.
- AdBlock Plus - Easy ad-blocking (fight the text advertisements!).
- Drag De Go - Allows you to drag links and images to create new tabs and save files.
- Fast Video Download - Save inline flash (YouTube) videos quickly by pressing the button it adds on the taskbar, avoid the memory hole problem.
- Gmail Manager - Manage multiple Google Mail accounts; you can and should make like 5 or so extra, for forum registration and PsyOps work.
- IE Tab Allows pages to be rendered using the IE engine within Firefox. For those pages that require ActiveX extensions also. (Now pre-packaged with Firefox 3)
- ScreenGrab Takes a screenshot of the whole page in the browser.
- 404 : Page Not Found? Now it will be! Shows archived version of a page from months ago, useful for dead links.
- Linkification Converts inline URLs into anchored (and thus clickable) links.
- Text To Image Converts URL-form images (*.jpg, *.png, *.gif, et cetera) into images.
- tb sm.xpi United States English Dictionary Useful tool against spelling-police. zm tb.xpi Here is the British version for you Britfags
- FlashBlock Blocks flash from starting until you click to let it. (Easily done with NoScript)
Useful / h4xx
- ReloadEvery. Reloads page/tab every 5, 10, 20 secs and 1, 2 , 5, 10 and 15 mins. Can be used to reload a page every 5 secs in about 10 tabs, depending on computer, spamming that site. Useful to get things into Google's Top 100 to spread rumors, lies etc. After about 15 mins, Google asks you if you're not a bot. Just type in the CAPTCHAs (there's 2) and continue.
- Add N Edit Cookies - Lets you view cookie data and the like
- Greasemonkey - Allows various scripts we and others make
- Hackbar - Speeds up testing for SQL injection
- iMacros - Also allows scripts and the like
- Live HTTP Headers - View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing, and lets you replay them
- Tamper Data - Allows you to view and modify HTTP/HTTPS headers and post params
- Web Developers Toolbar - Does a metric fuckton of things
- Flagfox Tells you where a website is hosted, right clicking will allow you to view the IP and get a link to the Whois info.
- Mail Server Profiler - Searches for all mail servers in a given domain. Very useful for mail spoofing. Still experimental. It needs to be upgraded to new firefox. If this can be done, anon will have moar tools.
- Nightly Tester Tools - If a certain add-on is incompatible with your version of Firefox, you can use this to possibly (probably) override the incompatibility and force install.
is part of a series on
LERNIN 2 INTERNET
Aspierations • BLANKING IN PROGRESS • Charming Naïveté • Delete fucking everything • DOIN IT RONG • Edginess • Failing it • Internet tough guy • Kids on the internet • Legal action • Liberalism • Mental illness • Mod Sass • Skript kiddies • Sob Stories • Trolls • Unrealistic Expectations • Unwarranted Self-Importance • Waaaambulance
Firefox Performance is part of a series on
Visit the Softwarez Portal for complete coverage.