PunkBuster is a terrible little program made by the fine fellows at Even Balance Inc. that has caused many a gamer to rage. They say its main purpose is to find cheaters in multiplayer games and kick/ban them out of the game. This is obviously a lie, because if the program even suspects you of "cheating" it will kick or ban you and may even blacklist your CD-Key. In other words, you will never be able to play on any servers that use PunkBuster again because of the blacklist.
Reasons for the Ban
Instead of "busting the punks" that cheat, it will ban you for any of these reasons:
- You suck at the game (PunkBuster will think you're assisting the opposing team by sucking)
- You're too good at the game
- You lag just a bit more than other people
- Your game crashed
- PunkBuster crashed
- Vulgar language
- Preset server rules that fuck up all the time
- You connect for too long
- You are testing a new config and it finds a forbidden command
- Trying to play the fucking game.
- Trying to connect to a server.
- You own a PC.
Setup / Patcher
When people choose, when installing their game, to not install PunkBuster, they find out that they cannot play on many of the game's multiplayer servers. So to fix this, PunkBuster's solution is to download their setup/patcher program. This program is installed right on to your computer and "updates" the game that you are having trouble with. Unfortunately, this does not work and only leaves the player raged.
Even Balance has a crappy support ticket system. A gamer typically writes a long and detailed essay about the problem to which they just respond "reinstall PB again" / "just google it" and close the ticket. In other words, Even Balance does not give a shit about you or any other people that play games. They just care about having their product used by the man and gaming companies.
PunkBuster had been attacked at times over the years. One major attack was in 2007 where a group of people DDOSed the PunkBuster servers for great justice which suspended their fascist agenda in order to stop the "cheaters" in games. This brought their servers down for around a week or so causing havoc amongst the PunkBuster "community."
In late 2008, another attack was brought down upon PunkBuster's servers. A shitty online petition was made in order to grab Even Balance's attention. Too bad online petitions are fucking stupid and never work.
Here is how to uninstall this bitch.
1. Download Even Balance's pbsvc.exe here
2. Run it and start the uninstall process.
3. Uninstall the program.
For some, this is not enough to get PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe off of their systems. If this is a problem, do this:
(WARNING: This may mess up your computer if not done properly. We are not responsible for the damage that you have done to your system. Got it, bud?)
1. Go to C:\Windows\system32 and check for a punkbuster folder there. Delete it.
2. Then check your prefetch folder and look for a punkbuster folder there. Delete it there.
—Gamer on GameTrailers Forums
Games Supported / Ruined by Punkbuster
- America's Army
- Battlefield 2
- Battlefield 2142
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Battlefield Heroes
- Battlefield Vietnam
- Call of Duty
- Call of Duty 2
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: World at War
- Crysis Wars
- Doom 3
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
- Far Cry 2
- F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
- FIFA Online
- Frontlines: Fuel of War
- Need for Speed: ProStreet
- Need for Speed: Undercover
- Quake III Arena
- Quake 4
- Quake Live
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
- Offical Website
- Battlefield Problems
- Call of Duty 4 Problems
- PunkBuster was DDOSed
- Servers were fucked with again.
PunkBuster is part of a series on
Visit the Gaming Portal for complete coverage.