Not to be confused with Tubgirl.
Tubcat (aka "Tulle") is not only the first namecat but also the first cat-related internet phenomenon on record. Upon seeing Tubcat's astounding girth, many netizens cried foul, claiming that such a monstrosity could not be the product of man and therefore must be the product of Photoshop. Sadly, they were mistaken; the most famous picture of Tubcat is actually one that appeared in US Weekly way back in 2001 when anyone still read that shit.
Before LOLcats, before Longcat or Ceiling Cat and before the meme-vomiting 4chan imageboard (circa 2003) even existed, Tubcat was already hard at work making internet great. In 2002, Tubcat captured the hearts and minds of teens and preteens alike. With phonetic spelling, poor grammar and the aggressive abuse of netspeak, the website that started it all was written to parody the stereotypical OTI writing style of 16-year-old girls . Since the site was written before MySpace (2003) and other customizable Web 2.0 sites existed, it originally served more as a parody of sites hosted on Geocities or some other free webhost.
The diabetes-afflicted Tubcat met the reaper in 2008 at the ripe old age of 13 and the ripe round weight of 43 pounds. Although there was - and still is - only one Tubcat, there are many other tubby cats that have fallen into the tubes; some people also call these fine felines "tubcats".
- 1 A Brief History
- 2 Animal Cruelty
- 3 Tulle in the News
- 4 Tubcat Around the World!
- 5 Tubcat on TOW
- 6 The Internet Responds
- 7 Tubcat Fun Facts
- 8 Neighbors of Tubcat
- 9 Tubcat and Friends
- 10 See Also
- 11 External Links
A Brief History
—Sarah Hartwell, on freak cats.
Some animal-rights supporters and veterinarians argue that overfeeding a cat to the point that it becomes grotesquely obese constitutes animal cruelty. Others argue that CHUBBY KITTIEZ ARE SOoOoOoO CUTE!!!1 Guess which group spends more time on the internet?
Tulle in the News
August 29, 2001: Tubcat can only roll (shitty translation from Danish)BALEETED
- January 6, 2008: World's fattest cat is dead (shitty translation from Swedish)
- We put him on a diet, and then he became a little slimmer. But his kidney problems were getting worse and he started to smell bad. Finally, we killed him.
Tubcat Around the World!
- Spain/Mexico/South America
Tubcat on TOW
In spite of it being legitimately created twice and in spite of the third revision earning a solid Keep after its first AfD, the Nazis at Wikipedia refused to allow there to be an article on Tubcat. Purportedly, he "obviously fails WP:V" and has "no coverage in reliable sources".
The Internet Responds
- Tubcat is male, even though his girth occludes any visible genitalia.
- Pedos everyewhere, take note: Tabitha Pedersen, the foxy redhead pictured at top, is now legal!
- The Tubcat Fan Club is based in San Francisco (mailing address).
- Tubcat.com first appeared on January 9, 2002.
- Oh, how the great have fallen. Without Web 2.0 tie-ins and extensive interlinking, Tubcat has fallen dramatically in popularity. It usually manages to keep within the top 20 million sites on the internet (or so).
- Estimated value of Tubcat.com: $292
Neighbors of Tubcat
Tubcat has many interesting neighbors on the internet. Tubcat.com is only one of many quirky sites hosted at the atari.saturn5.com server (IP: 18.104.22.168).
Many, but not all of these sites are art-related, and most are either gone (not listed) or extremely outdated:
- The homepage of Bettina May, a Canadian pin-up model
- The photography and music of Chiamattt (in Korea)
- Citynoise.org - A public photoblog
- Coquette Faux Furriers, providing a PETA-friendly alternative to actual fur clothing
- "a veritable thunderstorm of wearable art."
- Homepage of the Gathering of The Tribes Conference and Festival (2004-2005)
- JUSTICE FOR 9/11
- The homepage of Ert O'Hara (links to her Twitter and her Flickr accounts)
- PartySmart, the northern New Mexico division of DanceSafe
- The homepage (circa 2003) of openly gay rapper Rainbow Flava
- Scenester.com blog: FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT
- The dated homepage of the 9-11 Visibility Project
- Superbad.com - A strange exploration site; worth a visit
- The Gifted - A defunct(?) online roleplaying game
- A list of "very important potheads"
- The Montage Art of Winston Smith
- The homepage of artist Laura Adams
- The online evolution of a music-related print zine founded in 1990
- Nonfunctional homepage of artist Molly; presently "Hi"
- "The art and personal journal of Elise"; presently "coming back soon."
- Geek Boy Services - Smart, sexy, chic girls turn boring geeks onto the San Francisco lifestyle
- The old homepage for saturn5 productions
- Homepage of the suburban all-stars and two other rap groups; presently "thank you"|0}}
Tubcat and Friends
- Channeling Tubcat
- Camoflaged tubcat Lula
- Lula is sleepy
- An adorable, round-bottomed cat
- A tubcat named General in desperate need of liposuction
- Pecan's gigantic badonkadonk
- Lemon Lump, an extremely unattractive cousin of Tubcat
- OM NOM NOM
- Animal abuse
- Tubcat.jpg - Somewhat more extreme animal abuse (not to be confused with TUBCAT.jpg)
- Tubcat.com - Currently down for the first time in 7 years
- Defining Tubcat - @Urban Dictionary
- As of 2006, Tubcat tops the list of fat felines in this rigorous scientific study.
- A Chinese challenger appears... and is handily defeated by Tubcat, with the former weighing in at only 33 pounds and measuring 30" around
- Titanic, a 33 pound competitor (Video)
- Prince Chunk aka Powder - Proof that the global economic crisis affects creatures large and small, this 44 pound beast was abandoned in New Jersey, lost his new home due to foreclosure and then was mistaken for a Princess; he's had a hard life :-(
- Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats
- What To Do About An Overweight Cat - If your housecat is among the 40% that are are obese, put that chubby pussy on a diet before s/he too gets diabetes.
is part of a series on
A Cat Is Fine Too • Arguecat • Arrow Cats • Basement Cat • Bikecat • Bincat • Binkers • Bonsai Kitten • Bukkake Milk • Burger • Business Cat • Cat in Microwave • Cat on a keyboard in space • Catnarok • Ceiling Cat • Chase 'No Face' • Covercat • Dangerous Kitten • Death Cat • Dodge Cat • Drillcat • Emo Cat • Fishing Cat • Frinkle • Garfield • Grumpy Cat • Happycat • Hipster Kitty • If it fits I sits • Inception Cat • Jarcat • Jewcat • Keyboard Cat • Kitler • Lasercat • Lenincat • Limecat • Longcat • Maru • Nyan Cat • Octocat • Orvillecopter • Peter • Secret Kitty Club • Serious Cat • Shironeko • Shocked and Appalled Cat • Shortcat • Shotacat • Silencer Cat • Spaghetti Cat • Speedycat • Standing Cat • Stalking Cat • Starecat • Stubbs the mayorcat • Tacgnol • That Fucking Cat • Trollcats • Tubcat • Tulip • Weathercat • YOUR CAT • Zippocat
is part of a series on Web 1.0