T H E F U T U R E I S H E R E , W H A T N O W ?
Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ may or may not exist as an established art form or means of expression. Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ works against itself to provide entertainment; the boundaries of irony are irrelevant here.
Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ is said to be inspired by or similar to "sea-punk," however this is up in the air. The concept of ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ is often considered to be commentary on the inevitable collision of corporate commercialism with what many consider pop culture, although this is ALREADY HAPPENING with corporations trying to hijack memes for commercial purposes OTI. Most ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ consists of chopped and screwed 80s music, and slowed down elevator music that only hipsters would listen to otherwise. Popular ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ artists include New Dreams Ltd., Vektroid, and MACINTOSH PLUS, who all happen to be the same person.
T H I S I S Y O U R W O R L D ^ | | | v T H I S I S Y O U R L I F E
Origins of Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ/FLORAL SHOPPE
MACINTOSH PLUS's album FLORAL SHOPPE is one of the first major ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ releases to attract widespread attention from audiences outside the obscure corners of the Internet which birthed the style. Like all the others, it consists of shitty 80s jams, chopped-and-screwed and mixed against crappier chopped-and-screwed easy listening elevator muzak. Praised by hipsters and tumblr users alike, it is one of the most popular ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ releases out there, inspiring countless shoops and parodies inspired by the cover art, and even warranting a review by /mu/ traitor theneedledrop.
Things to Note About "Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ"
- 80s samples - mostly cheesy, generic smooth jazz.
- Hypercapitalism isn't all that bad, sort of.
W H Y L I V E O U T T H E R E ? ? ?
- Serial Experiments Lain
- 90s aesthetics - representing Windows 95 hard here.
Y O U ' R E A L R E A D Y D E A D ! ! !
- Not necessarily nostalgia.
Known Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ Offshoots
- Future Funk - A ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ derivative which emphasizes 80s funk and house music.
- Post-Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ - music heavily influenced or inspired by Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ. SAINT PEPSI's nu-disco album Hit Vibes would be an example of this.
- Ｖａｐｏｒwaif - Strictly aesthetic (thus far) - ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ, but kawaii girls!
- Post-Internet Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ - Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ, but with imagery and themes relating to past web culture, and the mainstreaming of the Internet into popular culture (think: Web 2.0). Artists like chris††† and INTERNET CLUB are good examples of this style.
- Mallsoft - Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ, but meant to be played in the background rather than focused on. Often purely chopped-and-screwed elevator muzak.
- Sadrap - Not ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ, just shitty cloud rap about early-2000s pop culture and drugs. However, the entire image is based on ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ aesthetics.
- Fashwave/Trumpwave - Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ music and aesthetic inspired by The Donald and the Alt-Right.
What does it all mean?
Whether or not ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ enthusiasts choose to acknowledge ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ as a genre, movement, or whatever else it may be, ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ has become an essential role in the transition into post-industrial culture (this is when industry becomes more obsolete as a result of technological advancement). Technology is progressing with no end in sight, so rather than becoming another cultural break in an era of perpetual movement, ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ serves as a means of finding entertainment in the event horizon of globalized capitalism. A common misconception is that ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ is ironic in nature; this is false because ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ is actually an extreme form of post-modernism in which sincerity is embedded within genre-consciousness. Similarly, ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ isn't nostalgic — it's actually speculative (but not science fiction either). 80s consumer culture is utilized as a means of re-establishing the concept of the "American dream" as a byproduct of the newly found (and never before seen) advancement of the 90s computer revolution. Additionally, ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ isn't cyberpunk, as ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ embraces the cosmopolitan information e-mega-mall.
The big idea is that consumerism is almost on par with religion, so why not welcome it?
Can ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ actually be defined?
- - Article about Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ on TOW.
- Ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ Library - All the ｖａｐｏｒｗａｖｅ you'll ever need.
Vaporwave is part of a series on
Vaporwave is part of a series on
Visit the Music Portal for complete coverage.
|Featured article August 4th & 5th, 2014|
| Preceded by
|Vaporwave|| Succeeded by|
Weird Al Yankovic